Sunday, May 25, 2008

Romance and Love: Bullshit, or occasional happiness with a large helping of suffering?

I know all my previous blogs are about things I hate (I do love my guitar though), I figured that it's high time I wrote something positive, so I picked Love. Love is the most painful, depressing, smotheringly awful thing a person can ever experience. It burns, it tears, it kills, and to quote a song; "Love Stinks". It's trying to go against your basic human nature that tells you at a genetic level to sleep with as many people as you can to spread your "seed". Marriage is not love, it is commitment, and a difficult one to keep (ever wonder why 50% of all marriages end in divorce?). Love, however, is worth every trial, every tribulation. Love is waking up next to someone the next morning and thinking "yeah, I could wake up next to her every morning and never regret it", it's waking up with her and sitting to laugh at cartoons you watched as kids, it's calling in sick to work so you can go on a day trip to the middle of nowhere to do nothing but hang out.

I'm not just talking about sexual or romantic love, I'm also talking about fraternal or "friend" love. I have some friends I consider almost brothers, they're part of my family. They ask to borrow some cash? no problem. They need a lift at 3am? I'm there. They had a bad breakup and need advice? I will sit and discuss things with them for hours. I do this because they're my best friends, and I love them like brothers. I'd do anything for them, as they'd do for me. But enough of this brotherly love crap.

Friends With Benefits. The man or woman that thought this up should be given a frigging medal. having friend that I can hang out with, just watching tv, and then her dragging me upstairs for wild sex, and not expecting any kind of romantic commitment? it's great! more people should do it! it brings people closer, gives you more reasons to hang out, and breaks all that sexual tension that normally builds in inter-gender friendships.

So, in summary
1. Love good/bad
2. Marriage bad
3. The "bros before hoes" rule is crap.
4. Bros before anything.
5. Being fuckbuddies is awesomeness.
6. Commitment is for the monogamous.

Love is crawling there if you couldn't walk.
Love is chasing what you want instead of settling for what you think you deserve.
Love is caring for someone else more than you care for yourself.
Love is asking for help despite pride, embarrassment or fear.
Self-doubt and confusion fade away, but Love endures
-Ryan Sohmer, cartoonist.

*note: I'm not making any comments about the second paragraph like "but I'm not gay for them or anything!" because I'm an adult, and I think that if I am going to discuss topics seriously then being a bigot wouldn't really help matters, now would it?*

No comments: